There's no doubt about it, shimmering labradorite can light up your life and awaken your senses. It's used by healers and shamans and all who seek knowledge and guidance from the universe. Below are some interesting facts about labradorite that may leave you wanting more...
* Labradorite gets its name from the town of Labrador, Canada, where the stone was discovered by Moravian missionaries in 1770 who named it for the area.
* Labradorite is now found in various locations worldwide, including Finland, Madagascar, Australia, Mexico, and the United States.
* It's is a member of the Feldspar family, along with Moonstone and is treasured for its remarkable and captivating play of color, known as labradorescence, caused by the composition of layers that create the unique play of colors when light interacts with it.
* This play of colors often includes iridescent flashes of peacock blue, gold, pale green, or coppery red. The predominant blue varies with the light, displaying hues from deepest blue to various shades of pale, blueish-green.
* It only takes one look at Labradorite’s flashy iridescence to understand where the many native legends about this stone come from. According to native Canadian tribal lore, Labradorite fell from the frozen fire from the Aurora Borealis.
* It is believed that the lights were “set free” by one of their ancestors who broke through the rocks with his spear. The lights that remained were set into stone, and thus Labradorite was born.
* Labradorite is often associated with having mystical properties. Some use labradorite in meditation for its alleged ability to awaken one's awareness, enhance intuition, psychic abilities, and provide spiritual insight.
* Labradorite is also the most powerful protector of the mineral kingdom, creating a shielding force throughout the aura and strengthening natural energies from within while protecting against negative energies.
* This 'stone of magic' contains powerful healing energies. Some believe that Labradorite is beneficial to the lungs and may assist with respiratory problems, bronchitis, and colds. It assists in digestion, regulation, and metabolism.
* It's been used to treat eye and brain disorders, and to reduce stress and anxiety. It may also soothe pain, lower blood pressure, and reduce sensitivity to cold.
Can't get enough of this magical gemstone? By wearing Labradorite jewelry, you can connect with its magical energies. Shop here for more labradorite goodness!